Monday, February 11, 2008

Seville

I woke up that morning and got ready and the hotel that we were at was supposed to be serving a continental breakfast, we me and the girls that I was rooming with got all ready for the day and headed down to what we thought was just going to be some hot chocolate and muffins or something because Spaniards are normally not big breakfast people, I have found out. But much to my surprise there was a whole spread of just about everything you could want for breakfast! It was AMAZING!!! Let me list some of the things that I had to choose from: bacon, eggs, meat (like 3 different types) individually wrapped pastries, not wrapped pastries, yogurt, bocadillos(like mini loaves of bread), cheese, fruit, another choice of sliced bread (2 kinds), cereal, juice, fruit, hot chocolate, and there was a toaster to toast anything that your heart desired. I was so happy to see real food for breakfast! So, naturally me and all of the other Americans in the room loaded up on one or more of just about everything that they had and went to town on the first big breakfast that we have been able to have since getting here! There was a small incident where I set my bocadillo on fire while it was in the toaster, but that was taken care of quickly by blowing it out when it came out of the toaster, but besides that the morning was better that I could have ever hoped! I even came away with a lunch that I made with the bocadillo and the several choices of meat and cheese that they had, and an individually wrapped pastry so that I could eat it for lunch! What an amazing place Haha! After breakfast we all met in the lobby and headed for the Cathedral that is in Seville. We wound our way through the streets and got to the Cathedral before it even opened, we were a little excited about it I guess. And while waiting we practically had to beat of the women walking through the streets with little plants that look like weeds telling you your fortune and then demanding money. Ironically, many of the people in our group have the same fate! Haha! But when we finally got inside it was totally worth the wait! It was another beautiful place with the ornate decorations and high vaulted ceilings and gold plated things all over the place. This one is special because this is where they have the bones of Christopher Columbus, inside a little casket carried by 4 people of great importance (I just don’t really remember why they are important right now). That was pretty sweet to see! This Cathedral also had a bell tower that you could climb up to the top of and see the city of Seville from the sky, so we made our way up the 34 ramps that wound around the inside of the tower, which was a little tough for me seeing as I was carrying 3 people’s lunches, water bottles and a couple books in my backpack, but we made it to the top! Good thing I’m so freakin strong! Haha! And the view from the top was absolutely breathtaking!!! You could see everything in the city, and there was a great view of the Patio de Naranjas that the Cathedral had, also. We then went down the ramps, which was a heck of a lot easier than going up, took a group photo, then went across the street to the Alcazar of Seville. This was home to Pedro the King (I don’t know when he was King, but he was sometime) and his 800 women. But now the royal family comes to stay sometimes, when they feel like it I guess. The palace itself was alright, but the gardens were FABULOUS!!! There were so many different gardens with different flowers and fountains and arches covered in ivy to get to the different gardens and trees and cute little stone paths running throughout them. And in the hour and a half that we had there, I think we only made it through about half of them! We sat down on one of the benches and ate our kinda stolen lunches and I think almost all of the ducks that were in the park came and practically attacked us for some bread off of the sandwiches. Literally I had ducks walking on my feet while I was trying to enjoy the gardens around me and my wonderful hotel sandwich. It was pretty crazy! After lunch we decided to explore Seville, so we moseyed through the streets, enjoying the sun, stopped in some stores. It was nice. Later that night we were told that there was room in the program budget to take all of us to a Flamenco Dancing show!!! We were all really excited because Seville is famous for their Flamenco dancing! So once again we all met in the lobby of the hotel and a parade of Americans walked through Seville looking for the club that we were supposed to go to. We took a couple wrong turns but finally made it to the right place! It was a pretty nice place with tables for people who want to pay the big bucks for dinner and a show, but we are not those people so we sat in the rows of chairs that are in front of the tables. We did get drinks with the show, tho, so that was fun. It was kinda funny when all of us, legal to drink in Spain, ordered the only non alcoholic things that they had on the menu. The waitresses looked at us kinda weird as they brought out 40+ juices and waters. The guys that were doing the Flamenco dancing had some super nasty, greasy hair that was long and curly and one guy kept playing with it like it was all hot or something (sick), but there was this one guy that all the girls thought was so cute, and Katelyn, a girl in the group got a picture with him. The dancing was really fun to watch! It’s not the typical dancing, they just move their feet a lot, but its super fun to watch. I have now come to the conclusion the polka-dots are sexy, because that’s what the women in the show wore, and they looked pretty sweet, so my next dress is going to be all big polka-dots! Alright, so maybe they’re not that sexy, but still. After the show we thought that we knew the way home, but really, we had no idea. Haha. Places are so much different in the dark, and when the signs are all in Spanish! So we ended up in some dark part of the city with tiny streets and no signs at all and had to find our way out of that one! All this time Paige was super tired from lack of sleep, and seemed a bit tipsy (if you get my drift); I hope that her pineapple juice wasn’t spiked with Mt. Dew or anything, haha!!! But in the end we made it back to the hotel in one piece! It was a good day!!

No comments: