Monday, February 25, 2008

Walking around Madrid

It's been a pretty normal week, nothing too exciting! We did go and do a couple “walks” around Madrid for our Madrid Walks class, and one on them we did in the rain! It was pretty intense to be walking around in the rain, trying to see these places that are supposed to be super cool all while trying to stay dry underneath my bright orange Xango umbrella! On the subject of the umbrella, I was walking down the street on my way to school the other day with my neon water protector and this guy actually came up to me, and told me that he LOVED my umbrella, then walked away kinda giggling. It made my day! Haha! Anyways… back to the walk! On the first one in the downpour (alright so it wasn’t really a downpour but it made it sound better, haha. To my defense tho, by the end of the walk there were streams of water running down all the roads and my pants were wet almost up to my knees, so it seemed like a downpour from where I was standing!) It was called “Medieval Madrid”, and although I didn’t really get the medieval feel from anywhere that we walked, it was cool! We saw some nice buildings and historical sites, including the world’s oldest and longest operating restaurant! I was tempted to eat there just to say that I have, but then I saw the prices and quickly changed my mind! It was like $25 a plate! I guess they think that if they are in the Guiness Book of World Records that means that they can charge whatever they want! So… I passed that opportunity and headed to another street, and it is known as something like the marriage street or something, because according to legend, you had to walk down this street and then you would be eligible to get married! (Really its because this street is where they issued the marriage licenses, but now its just a fun tradition!) So, I guess now I am eligible! Haha! Woot! The other walk was kinda lame, it was called the Museum Walk, or something like that, and all we did was walk around and see different buildings that house museums. We didn’t go IN the museum, which would have seemed logical to me because most of the time the outside of the museum looks just like any other building that you would pass on the street, but hey, at least now I know where they are so I can avoid an “I don’t know where the museum is” crisis! Not that I would really ever have one of those, but just in case! After doing the walk we were all kinda in a museum mood, so we found a museum for the blind and went to that! It was cool because it was a bunch of art pieces and miniatures of buildings that you could touch! So there were about 10 of us fully able to see (with the help of glasses and such, technology is wonderful!!!) walking around this museum touching everything. It was cool!

No comments: