Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Valencia Afternoon

But after somehow surviving the challenge of the horrific bathroom, we found out that there was some kind of fireworks show that was going on at 2 somewhere around the main part of town, so we started to head in the direction that we thought it was in, and soon found out that we were going the right way because every other person that was in the city was headed there too! So we were almost pushed in the right direction, going with the flow of people towards the genie and the center of town. I think I now know just how a sardine feels packed into those little packages because that’s about how close we were with the people around us, waiting for the fireworks to start. We waited, and waited, tried to turn to talk to my friends that were behind me, but there was no movement that could be made without causing a domino effect of people all the way down the street, so I had to be content standing there in the sun packed into the street with thousands of people that I don’t know surrounding me, waiting to see the fireworks in the middle of the day, which seemed a little strange to me, but hey, it was still cool! We had been standing there for a while, waiting for them to start, when we finally decided that the heat of the sun bearing down on us and the body heat from the people we were sandwiched against was too much. So we decided to follow the small parade of people in our group that had formed and were making their way through the masses of people, so I grabbed the arm of the last girl in the line and began to make my way through the rest of the people that had gathered there. As we were making our way out, the fireworks started, and I got distracted and lost the arm of the girl in front of me, and there I stayed. I have found I am not talented in the ways of making my way through a large crowd of people who are standing right next to each other, so once I lost the arm, all hope for leaving the crowd early was lost! So I turned around to face where the fireworks were supposed to be, and I got to see the smoke that was coming from what used to be fireworks, and that was it, accompanied by very loud noises, which normally come with fireworks, claro. Once the festivities of that time were done, we tromped along with the other people until we reached the plaza area where there was more room to roam, and were able to take a breath of fresh air and with for the other people in our group to come. We waited for a bit, and finally a couple more people came, and we decided that a smaller group was better, and made our way out into the middle of the plaza to decide where the market was. The map was not very helpful, seeing as a lot of the streets didn’t really have names on them, and we couldn’t find the plaza del marcado. So we were going to ask someone like we normally do, you know, the people who look like they are natives, but when you are at something that millions of people go to, how are you supposed to know who is a local and who is not? So rather than take time trying to distinguish who knew where to go and who was just wandering and looking like they had a purpose, someone got the idea to ask a police officer! We then were able to kinda find out where to go! We walked down the main street for a while, marveling at the different fallas, passing other tourists. I felt right at home! Haha! I even got offered some cerveza for only 1 Euro, and almost convinced the guys to give it to me for free! What I would have done with it had I gotten it for free, I don’t know. Maybe left it on the curb for a surprise to a passerby or something, but it would have been funny to get it! We kept wandering for a while in the direction that we thought that the market was, and finally found it tucked back off the main street a ways. There were shops on the side of the street selling random things like t-shirts or knitted tops for girls (which would not have covered very much, they were not very well knitted so they had somewhat large holes in them. Maybe that’s the point… but I am just not sure). Apparently the indoor market that they have here is one of the biggest ones in the world, but as we wandered to find the entrance to it, we found that it was closed. Sad day! But I believe that it’s a huge market, the building was pretty monstrous itself!!! But with that loss, we just kept wandering around the market and the city, seeing what there is to see!

No comments: