Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Morning of Valencia

That morning was one of the earliest mornings of the whole trip! Someone decided that it would be a good idea to leave at 7 o’clock in the morning, so that’s what we did! But for me that meant a 6 o’clock wake up, or more like a 6 o’clock drag myself out of bed and try to get ready as quietly as possible so that I won’t wake the family up, all while trying, against all of my better judgment, not to crawl back into bed. But we were ready to go at 6:45 leaving once again a little early to get those prime spots on the bus. We snagged them just in time, and I used a technique called “have someone come over and talk to you that is already sitting in another seat technique” so that by the time everyone else is one the bus and has found their seats, and we are getting ready to leave, the person I was talking to will go and sit back in their seat, and I have the whole row to myself to sleep! Alright, so that’s not really what I planned, but that’s how it happened, and it was AMAZING!!! It’s too bad that I am not really able to sleep on busses really well, because conditions were perfect for sleeping! I even brought my little neck pillow thing and my BYU blanket for comforts sake. But alas, I did not sleep the whole way, but I was able to relax somewhat comfortably sprawled out on 2 bus seats listening to my iPod curled up in my blanket, and resting on my neck pillow. Ya, it sounds nice, but it wasn’t really as nice as it sounds. I lost feeling in my leg a couple of times and had to readjust positions and then when we went over bumps my head would smack on the window. Haha! Oh man I love busses!We finally got there around 11:30 in the morning and the bus pulled over to the side of the Plaza de España and we waited for one of the padres of a couple of the girls in our group to show up. So while waiting the logical thing to do was try and make a dent in our rations for the day, so we ate the sandwiches and bananas that originally wouldn’t fit in the backpack, and patiently waited for Juan to show up. Juan is native to Valencia, but lives in Alcalá right now. He was there visiting for Semana Santa because its so famous there, and he agreed to come and show us around for a bit! So when he got there, we all piled out of the bus and into the warm air of Valencia. I always feel weird when the whole group of us is walking around a place because I just feel like we are a bunch of ducklings following their mother. So that’s how it was again as we walked through the city for the first time. We started out just walking from Falla to falla. Fallas are the almost statute like things that each neighborhood makes every year for the festival. They have a competition between all of them. There are lots of different categories, at least as far as I could tell, and each big falla that we went to had several little banners hanging in front of them saying what place that had gotten in the different areas. There were big ones that we just as tall if not taller than the buildings around us, and little ones that were about the size of a small car, and medium sized ones that were about in between the other 2 sizes (hence they are the middle sized ones, haha) , and just about every corner that you turned, you saw another one! We started being able to tell where we were based on what falla we had just seen. At the center of the city was one that looked like the Genie from Aladin, so if we wanted to get there, we would just ask people where the genie was, and then they would tell us how to get there. So we wandered through the city for a while, following Juan from falla to falla, through the streets and between people, and finally ended at the train station. I still wonder why he took us there, I mean, its cool but it was not like we had never been to a train station before. Maybe it was for the girls who needed to use the restrooms, which was all of us. So the 29 girls who were on the trip all paraded over to the bathroom, making the like about 3 times longer than it was before. And I don’t know what was worse, waiting in line, or actually making it into the bathroom itself! This was the worst smelling bathroom that I have ever entered in my life!!! I think I would almost rather hold it then ever enter that bathroom ever again!!! It was so bad that I had a headache when I left, and I was not the only one with these symptoms! There were like 4 other girls who left there with headaches too! It was that bad!

No comments: