Monday, March 10, 2008

Bella y la Bestia

We went to Bella y La Bestia (Beauty and the Beast) the musical! There were about 12 of us girls that got all dressed up in Sunday best to go to this musical that I think is something like Broadway in the US! From the very moment that I stepped through the doors I couldn’t stop smiling! Just the atmosphere was one of fun and excitement, and I think it helped that we have been looking forward to this for a couple weeks now! There were people everywhere shuffling up stairs and grabbing a last minute drink before we were all seated. We, being poor starving (alright, not so starving right now, we have someone to cook for us! SO NICE!) college students, didn’t exactly have ideal seats, but they were alright for the price that we paid for them! On the balcony, kinda towards the back, but it was still quite the view! And the musical itself was quite enjoyable! I think that if I didn’t really know the story line beforehand, I might have had a problem understanding what was going on, but luckily I have been an avid watcher of Beauty and the Beast in my younger years, so I knew what was going on, and sang along to the Spanish songs in English! In my head of course, I didn’t want to get kicked out, haha! One bad thing about the show was the boys that were sitting a couple seats down from me were quite annoying!!! I really don’t know why they were there, a couple of teenage boys taking a week night to go and enjoy the musical of Beauty and the Beast, on their own, without dates seems a little bit weird to me, but hey, to each his own! But I think they were having a competition between themselves and the rest of the people there to be the first ones to start clapping after a song, and then to be the last ones to stop, which sometimes was into the next scene. Then I guess they felt it was alright for them to talk about whatever they wanted when the play was going on, and then start another game to see who could make the most noise and make it seem natural, like kicking a seat, or the bar that was in front of them or something. I was about to open a can of… well… you know what, but that whole getting kicked out thing stopped me again, that and they randomly would stop for a while then start again, then stop. So that put a slight damper on the experience, not enough to ruin it, but still! My favorite part of the whole thing was the Be Our Guest song! It was so fun! They had the dancing napkins and forks and spoons and everything! Picture the Disney movie, put it into real life, and then that’s about what you got from this song! It was so great, included were fireworks shooting off the stage and confetti shooting out over the crowd when the song was done! Quite the spectacle! When it was over, and when the standing ovation and clapping had ended, all of us, still smiling, ran out the front door and into the Metro station to try and catch the last train that was leaving for Alcalá for the night. There was much singing that came along with the running, claro! We just came from the musical, can you blame us?! But we didn’t end up getting home till around 2, then helped the oldest sister of the family with cutting out some paper stars for her elementary school kids, so needless to say it was quite the late night!

1 comment:

HelloBridgett said...

That sounds like so much fun! I'm jealous. Too bad those teenagers were taking away from the experience...