Thursday, January 24, 2008

Week 2!!!

So...not a lot has been going on, but I have been doing lots, if that even makes sense! Tuesday was Spanish class and we are trying to learn about the difference between ser and estar. I say trying because that’s really all that it is! haha! We do worksheets and such, and talk about it in class, and its starting to sink in, but it’s more difficult than I had previously thought! And we are now moving on to past tense stuff, and me and my roommate had a different answer on just about every one of the questions on that one also. haha! I am happy to report that after much discussion, I was right on about half of them and she was right on the other half, so I felt pretty good about that! So I guess the language is coming ok! I am starting to talk to the family a lot more, not just when they ask questions and stuff, but in normal conversation, throwing in my 2 cents here and there, then just kinda listening again. haha. I think its still kinda at the point where they are getting used to us and we are getting used to them, but they are really nice and talk back when we try to say something and keep the conversation going for as long as we can, which normally is a good few sentences long! Woot!
Tuesday we went to a park that’s up in the middle of Madrid right by the Prado museum to go study. We have had a lot of reading to do for our trip this weekend and for our classes and such, so a few of us thought it would be a good idea to go there and study. It was so gorgeous! Before I had been to the front of the park, but not the back (I guess this place is HUGE!) so we walked to the back, and there was this little lake, with this almost roman-like building behind it, (see picture) that was kinda worn down, with steps leading right down to the water, then there were little canoes with people inside of them, of course, paddling around this little lake in the middle of the park.(see the pictures I included) There was also a guy playing a saxophone near the lake so that people would give him money. I am a starving college student and only had the little amount that I brought with me to buy a pastry later, so I wasn’t able to tip him, but he played beautifully on that thing, so nice and smooth. The only downer to that was that it was the same song over and over, so by the time it was dark and we were leaving, I probably could have either written out the music myself or played the harmony right along with him! Haha! But picture this… we were all on a blanket, under the trees, sun shining, next to a beautiful lake, fountain running in the distance and a saxophone playing background music!!! How perfect is that?! Pretty much Madrid is my new favorite place to study!!! But after that, we went took the 5 minute Metro ride to the Plaza del Sol, bought a pastry (they’re called Neopolitana chocolate, oh man they are SO SO good!!!), headed back into the Metro and went home! All in all it was a good night!
Yesterday was about the same thing, except without the beautifulness of the park, and just my room. Haha. We have really had a lot to do reading wise, and we have all wanted to get it done so we can enjoy the weekend in Toledo. So I finished all the reading for 2 of my classes, did my Spanish homework, did some more reading, then went to bed. So not quite the picturesque day like Tuesday but it was really quite productive!
Then today we had Spanish again and spent a good hour on the "pluscuamperfecto" tense of the past verbs, and I got it right in the last 5 minutes of the discussion, haha, along with the rest of the class. So class was pretty intense today. We were planning on doing just about the same thing as yesterday for studying, but we (we being me and Paige, my new sidekick aka roommate haha) decided that we can’t just waist our time sitting in a room and not experiencing Spain, so every day we are going to pick a different spot where we are going to study, whether its just on the street or a new park, or whatever. Today we picked the Library. Exotic, I know. Haha, but on the way to the Library we ran into some other girls in the program, the ones that are in that movie I sent you, who were on their way up to Madrid to see the Temple and maybe do, I think its called TRC, where you act like you are an investigator for the missionaries, and I decided that was a little bit more intriguing to me than going to the Library, so me and Paige parted ways and I headed to Madrid.
The Temple is GORGEOUS!!! It looks a bit like the Mt. Timp one, but not quite the same. and the TRC thing didn’t start till 8:15 we found out, so we weren’t able to do that tonight because we have to go to bed early tonight to be ready for the early start tomorrow! So we took pictures, again went to the Plaza for pastries and came home to still more reading and packing! Woo-hoo!!!

No comments: